Michael J. Needleman
Michael J. Needleman is a Partner in the firm’s litigation department. He has extensive trial experience, having tried cases across Pennsylvania and New Jersey as well as in the District of Columbia. He has also tried cases in federal court in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Although Mr. Needleman concentrates on insurance-based litigation and bad faith defense, he also handles employment-related litigation and complex commercial matters for businesses in the region.
As with nearly every area of business, the COVID-19 pandemic has forced significant changes on the legal profession. Mr. Needleman prides himself on his adaptability. He has successfully moved most of his practice online. In each of the jurisdictions in which he practices, Mr. Needleman has litigated remotely, including: depositions; court hearings; and even trial. It is this kind of flexibility, combined with thorough preparation and skill, that makes Mr. Needleman an effective litigator, whether live in the courtroom or by remote platform. Notably, he has successfully defended each case tried remotely.
Mr. Needleman is frequently asked to speak to continuing legal education audiences and to the insurance industry on litigation-specific topics, trial practices and new developments. His audiences are local, regional, national and overseas.
A former law clerk to the Hon. Theodore Z. Davis, P.J. Ch., Camden County, Mr. Needleman has continued with his commitment to public service. He is a past member of the Advisory Board of Directors of the CMT Association, co-chair of the ADR committee of the New Jersey Defense Association, and currently serves on the school board in his local township.
Some of Mr. Needleman’s more notable experience includes:
- Efficiently obtained a full dismissal on behalf of our client, an excavation and site work contractor, before extensive discovery was conducted on a multi-million dollar motor vehicle accident claim, saving the client a significant amount of money in litigation fees.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a premises liability case in Philadelphia
- Successfully represented a mid-size manufacturer in discrimination litigation in Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas
- Won summary judgment on behalf of a large insurer in bad faith litigation in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Successfully represented a large manufacturer and supplier in Title VII and related litigation in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Won a defense verdict at trial in the Superior Court of New Jersey in bad faith litigation
- Won a defense verdict on behalf of a homeowner at trial in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
J.D., Widener University School of Law (2001)
B.A., American University (1998)
District of Columbia
U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey